Every Day Could Be a Holiday from Real

blue strapless summer dress with pink cardigan

Running Rubin

retro-inspired summer outfit

purple thistle

♥ River Island dress (old)  ♥  Hell Bunny cardigan  ♥  Gucci sunglasses

It’s amazing the difference a bit of sunshine can make.

Unlike some of my recent posts, these photos weren’t taken on an island, or at the coast, or in some other suitably photogenic location. Actually, this is one of our regular dog-walking routes. Most of the time it’s a pretty nondescript piece of land, but with the sun out and all the little flowers nodding in the breeze (I know most of them are probably weeds, but they’re pretty, so who cares, right?), even our daily dog walk felt a little bit like being on holiday.

Already my Bloglovin’ feed is starting to fill up with people talking about how they can’t wait for autumn, so they can get back into their coats and scarves and things, but seriously: give me a day when I can walk my dog without having to totally change my outfit into something suitable for trudging through mud in the rain, and I’ll be as happy as clam. Happier, probably: I mean, it’s hard to know how happy clams really ARE, isn’t it?

And yes, I’m wearing THAT cardigan again. And I bought another one last week, bringing my current total to four. I think I may need an intervention…

River Island 50s style prom dress

Oh, and in a new feature, here’s how I’ve worn these pieces in the past: let me know if you want me to keep including these! (Click on the image to see the original post.)

bloglovin

• CiCi says:

I like the idea of linking back to older posts – especially fun for those of us, like me, that haven’t been reading your blog for as long! All gives ideas, doesn’t it…

I will never, ever intervene on the purchase of new Hell Bunny cardigans. They’re amazing. Oh and if you were interested to see that mint green cropped one I was talking about on one of your posts recently, check out my latest and you’ll see the gorgeous embroidery in all its glory (shameless plug, apologies, but the cardigan is worth it!): http://cici-marie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/outfit-capsule-wardrobe-classic-polka.html

I wish people would stop jinxing the lovely weather with their cries for autumn – give me a sunny dog walk any day too! x

Oh, great! To be completely honest, because I wear dresses to much, I’m not sure how different the older outfits will be (“Remixing” a dress for me tends to just mean “wearing it with a different pair of shoes!”), but I’ll keep doing it if people find it useful :)

I’m totally with you on the autumn thing: I know some people don’t cope well with the heat, but it’s not *that* hot, and it happens so infrequently, and for such a short period of time, I don’t think they get too bad a deal. It’s “autumn” here for about 10 months of the year, so there’s plenty of opportunities for the coats and boots, and only a few for the dresses and short-sleeves!

• Sarah says:

Yep, all for links to previous outfits – it takes away the “I’d have to be rich and constantly buy new clothes to be as stylish as that fashion blogger” thing.

Ah, yes, I know that feeling! It’s a tricky one because I know some people get frustrated being shown older stuff which they can’t buy, but it’s definitely much more realistic for me to keep wearing stuff I’ve had for years – along with the newer things, obviously!

• Annette says:

After two (!) hot days we are back into grey and rainy weather wearing trousers and a jacket :-( I really hope we will have a hot and dry August before I even want to think about autumn…
    I love dresses as much as you do and whenever possible I wear them. A cardigan is a must here and I carry one with me all the time!

Annette | Lady of Style

I’m exactly the same – even if I’m travelling somewhere really hot, I’ll always have my trusty cardi with me: you just never know when you’re going to need it!

• Mana says:

There has been strange autumn like weather here in the US. Not coats and boots Autumn but early autumn, which I am a fan of. I’m not a summer fan. But not for the fashion or because tired of the heat, but for all the things that Come with Autumn. Like apple and pumpkin picking, halloween, and then thanksgiving. It helps that I was born in October.
    However instead of trying to rush autumn I just hide in my house and watch (children’s) halloween movies early. (I should note I don’t like blood and gore) It will be September soon enough so all the summer people should have their season.
    Mana
    Fashion and Happy Things

I think because we have such a short autumn, and don’t have thanksgiving etc, it’s always just been a prelude to winter for me. That said, what passes for “summer” in the UK is a lot more like autumn in some other parts of the world, so maybe I DO actually love it after all!

• Carley says:

Ahh I wish summer weather could stay forever. Autumn can hold off for a good while as far as I’m concerned!
    These photos are gorgeous (seriously, that sky is so beautiful it looks like a painting), and because of the post title, I now have the lyrics of “Holiday From Real” by Jack’s Mannequin stuck in my head (never a bad thing).
    Here’s to many many more warm sunny days before the seasons change!
    -Carley
    xx

Ah, I’m so glad someone recognised it! Terry used that song in one of our holiday videos a few years back, and I come back to it every summer – such a great song!

• oomph. says:

beautiful pictures. from the green grass, to the lavender “weeds”, to the blue skies, this nondescript land made for some amazing pictures!

• Erika says:

A very picturesque landscape for just an ole dog walking path. I find that I enjoy the weeds sometimes more than the flowers that I plant. Probably because the ‘real’ flowers that I do plant, don’t grow as well as the weeds that I do not plant. :-)
    I like the new feature as well, hope you’ll continue with it.

In our last garden I’d always end up pulling up plants by mistake, and leaving weeds, thinking they were flowers: I’ll never be a gardener, that’s for sure!

• char says:

Yes, I love this idea for a feature. I like to know that people actually wear things again. I know I feel like I only wear things once because I only seem to feature them on the blog once when in reality I might wear them quite often. I should photograph things more.

• Urgh I was tempted to unfollow all the bloggers that started banging on about autumn (well, fall, US bloggers seem obsessed with looking forward to the next season constantly whereas brit bloggers tend to live in the now) in July when it was smegging hot down here in Hampshire. I don’t like reading magazines in summer that are full of coats & I’m the same with blogs! I come back to the mags when it feels more seasonally appropriate but I skip the blog posts altogether. Cannot be thinking about coats, boots & tights in July. I’ll wait until October when I need them!!