I’ve been blogging for such a long time now that I don’t normally take part in any of the “list random facts about yourself” memes that are always floating around the internet, purely because I’ve done quite a few of them now, and I seriously doubt there’s anything left to say about myself that I haven’t mentioned eleventy-one times already. This week, however, I’m low on inspiration and short on time, so here are ten random facts you (possibly) didn’t know about me and (probably) didn’t WANT to know, either…
01. At least once a week, I have a nightmare in which I realise I have to sit my university or high school exams – all of them – TOMORROW. The dream isn’t the same every time, but always revolves around the sudden realisation that I was allowed to graduate from high school/university without sitting any exams, on the understanding that I will return at some point in the future to do them. The nightmare kicks in the night before that point in the future is reached, when I realise I have just a few hours in which to bring myself up to speed with subjects I haven’t even thought about in years. I always wake up feeling more exhausted than I did when I went to bed.
02. Terry and I sometimes use cockney accents when speaking to each other. Don’t ask…
03. My degree course was originally joint honours in English Literature and Philosophy. I picked English Literature for obvious reasons, and philosophy purely because I imagined I would sit around in smoky cafes, wearing a beret and discussing Jean-Paul Sartre with someone who looked a bit like James Dean. Actually, we just sat around our classroom in a 1960s office block, discussing whether or not that table in front of us actually existed, so I dropped philosophy at the first possible opportunity. I still sometimes wonder about that table, though.
04. When I’m out in public, I actively avoid catching sight of myself in mirrors, shop windows etc. Seeing myself in a harshly lit mirror (as opposed to the much “kinder” ones in my house…) can totally ruin the rest of my day. (Ditto the mirrored doors in my bedroom, actually: I always look 10x worse in them than I do in the mirrored doors in the future guestroom. That’s why any future guests we end up having over will just have to get used to waking up to find me preening in front of the mirror at the bottom of their bed. Why are some mirrors made of evil, though, I wonder? Which ones tell the truth? If there’s a mirror in my guest room, but there’s no one there to look into it, is the mirror actually there? Who IS the fairest of them all, anyway? So much mirror-related angst, I can’t even tell you…)
05. I have 28 unpublished drafts currently sitting in my WordPress dashboard (This was one of them up until a few minutes ago….), plus folders full of unpublished outfit photos: sometimes you just don’t know how bad something really looks until you see a photo of yourself looking a hot mess in it. Or catch sight of yourself in a mirror when you weren’t expecting it.
06. I still sometimes have flashbacks to embarrassing/stupid things I did/said as far back as high school, and will literally blush with horror over them, even although they happened a million years ago, and I’m probably the only one who remembers them.
07. When I was a little girl
I had a rag doll I thought wolves were totally fictional creatures, like unicorns. I blame Little Red Riding Hood, and her fairy-tale friends for this sad state of affairs, which continued for an embarrassingly long time. I was completely amazed when I found out that there were ACTUAL wolves in the world, and gutted when I discovered that nope, still no unicorns.
08. In the past few weeks, I’ve been variously described (by people who know me in real life) as “a social animal” and “full of confidence”. I, meanwhile, describe myself as the shyest introvert who ever introverted. On the plus side, I guess I’m a better actress than I thought I was?
09. A few years ago, I had two moles removed from my face, for purely cosmetic reasons, so I guess you could say I’ve had cosmetic surgery. Please don’t, though.
10. Despite not being remotely superstitious, I always have to briefly touch the side of any aircraft I’m travelling as I step through the door. Otherwise it will crash. Which I guess DOES make me “remotely superstitious”, doesn’t it?
I didn’t write this list in response to any particular meme, and I’m not going to tag anyone either (because then they might not do it, and would be like all those times in high school when no one would pick me to be on their teams), but if you want to follow suit, please consider yourself tagged!